The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Archaeological monitoring was undertaken in 2017 during the renovation of the car park to the rear of Colchester Town Hall. The new boundary wall was built on the same N to S alignment as an earlier wall which had been demolished during the construction of the new department store. The northern half of the footing of this earlier wall was reused. However, a new concrete foundation c.7.5m long was required for the southern half of the new wall and excavated to a depth of c.1m below the current ground level. In the very southern end, a compacted layer of crushed concrete (L1; 400mm thick) overlaid modern infill (L2) associated with the construction of the new department store. Further north, roughly 500mm of modern surfacing materials (L3) overlaid a dark soil (L4) which contained modern/post medieval building materials. Most of the surfacing material had been imported during the construction of the CBC car park.<1>
A floor surface and two wall probable wall foundations were identified during the excavation of the trench. A small area of stable floor, made with cream Staffordshire stable bricks placed face down (L5), is likely to have been part of an 18th-19th-century stable to the rear of the former Cups Hotel (which had stood on the plot now occupied by Greytown House). The stable floor was cut by a large concrete foundation (F3) which may have been for a gate post.
Two brick structures (F1 and F2) were identified in the new foundation trench. F2 was a shallow wall foundation which may have also belonged to
one of the stables or other outbuildings behind the Cups Hotel. F1 was seen in the edge of the foundation trench and continued below its base. It is probable that F2 was a brick wall foundation associated with the late 18th- to early 20th-century iron foundry which occupied the land to the west of the trench (see CAT Report 1150).<2> A deposit of waste material from the iron foundry (L6; metal-working waste, ash and used casting sand) was also noted to the north of F2. L6 was cut by electricity cables which were installed during the groundworks associated with the construction of the TTS (CAT Report 742).<3>
See also ECC4088.
Watching Brief Report: Wightman, Adam. 2018. Archaeological monitoring in the car park to the rear of Colchester Town Hall, St Runwald Street, Colchester, Essex.. CAT Report 1232.
EXCAV REPORT: Wightman, Adam and Crummy, Philip. 2017. An archaeological excavation and watching brief at Fenwick Colchester (formerly Williams & Griffin), 147-151 High Street, Colchester, Essex. CAT Report 1150.
Watching Brief Report: Wightman, Adam (CAT). 2013. An archaeological watching brief during the construction of the Williams & Griffin temporary trading store in the Colchester Borough Council car park, St Runwald Street, Colchester, Essex.. CAT Report 742.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2018 2:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.