The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Second stage of excavations (Site B) on the site of Colchester's medieval leper hospital (Site A was carried out in 1989; ECC3740).<1><2>
Site B, to the north of the churchyard, was funded by English Heritage in 1995 following demolition of 19th-century almshouses and the developer's acquisition of a plot of British Rail land to the west of the almshouse gardens. The condition of early structural features was generally poor. Although Site B was largely free from graves, like Site A, this produced fragmentary and highly localised structural evidence with early medieval to modern stratigraphy almost at one level.
CAT Buildings 184 (Phase 1 timber building), 186 and 187 (both Phase 2 hospital accommodation) and 188 (Phase 3, ?accommodation for an almshouse warden) were defined in Site B.
Phase 1: early 12th to mid 13th centuries
Phase 2: mid 13th century to 1610
Phase 3: 1610 to 19th century
Article in serial: Crossan, Carl. 2004. Excavations at St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Brook Street, Colchester.
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
MCC2536Maudlin Chapel, St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Colchester (Monument)
MCC2417Medieval building, St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Colchester (Monument)
MCC2537Medieval St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Colchester (Monument)
MCC418St Mary Magdalen's Church (demolished), Colchester (Monument)
MCC2533St Mary Magdalen's Churchyard, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Apr 11 2016 10:30AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.