Monument record MCC8864 - Cudmore Grove - see individual associated records
|Grid reference||Centred TM 066 144 (45m by 17m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||EAST MERSEA, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Second World War defences, largely demolished in 1975 to improve the amenities of the country park. Rapid coastal erosion prevented the proposed retention of the emplacements. <1> <2> <3>
The disappearance of these structures is certain; recent study by specialist in this field is welcome so that preservation by record is assured. <4>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX7765 AP: unknown. 1977. TM 0614-4-160, TM 061- 4-2-153, 182.
- <3> SEX7766 Photograph: unknown. 1975. TM01-080. 12 frames.
- <4> SEX61233 DESC TEXT: Gibson, Sarah. 1994. Country Parks Archaeological Survey of Cudmore Grove.
- <5> SEX66729 Photograph: unknown. unknown. Foreshore cudmore grove. Colour print.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Related to: 4.7-inch Gun Emplacement at Cudmore Grove Country Park (Monument) (MCC7261)
- Related to: 4.7-inch Gun Emplacement at Cudmore Grove Country Park (Monument) (MCC7262)
- Related to: Battery Observation Post at Cudmore Grove Country Park (Monument) (MCC7260)
- Related to: Pillbox (destroyed) at Cudmore Grove Country Park (Monument) (MCC7263)
- Related to: Searchlight emplacement at Cudmore Grove Country Park (Monument) (MCC7259)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM