Industrial record MCC5213 - Colchester Military Hospital, Circular Road South, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 995 237 (282m by 420m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The Colchester Medical Reception Station was a large pavilion plan hospital built between 1894-98 to replace an earlier complex of double range closely aligned wooden huts with a passage between; these were poorly designed and allowed insufficient light and ventilation within the wards. The replacement hospital of 1894 was purpose-built comprising four large ward pavilions projecting south from a two-storey link corridor which connected the central administration block to all the pavilions. The main building was built in an impressive architectural style with red brick elevations embellished with red sandstone dressings. Between 1940 and 1994 the eastern ward pavilion was removed and in 1995 the whole building was demolished. The site of the former hospital remains un-built and is laid to grass.
The National Monuments Record holds further information on the site, including an architectural survey, plans, elevations and photographs. <1>.
- <1> SEX53918 DESC TEXT: Garwood, Adam and Gould, Shane. 1999. Essex Hospitals 1800-1948: a study of their history, design and architecture.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2017 7:58AM