Monument record MCC2873 - Bull Hotel, Crouch Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99372 24967 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The Bull Hotel first appears in the alehouse recognisances in 1770 and it is not known why it is not mentioned before that date; perhaps is underwent a period of closure at that time. The Colchester Museum Card index states that during the 1930s the landlord Arthur Green had the yard extended and made a good amount of money by charging for car parking. In 1992, part of the original yard was opened up as an official car park.<1>
The name of the pub is a very popular one throughout the country, often associated (like the bear) with bull baiting (which may have been conducted in close proximity to the pub). There is a large bull statue mounted on the building façade.
- <1> SCC12 Monograph: Jephcott, Jess. A. 1995. The Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester. p.94.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 20 2016 4:25PM