Monument record MCC2733 - Cannock Mill (now demolished)


Medieval watermill


Grid reference TM 0106 2381 (point)
Map sheet TM02SW
County ESSEX


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Cannock mill, belonged to St Botolph's priory, was called the mill near Wick or the old mill in the wood in 1311. The mill was rebuilt in c1600 as an overshot mill with two ponds, it was a corn mill in 1632 and included a fulling mill in 1651. The mill was rebuilt in 1845. <1>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Desk-based Assessment: Slater, Mary-Anne. 2015. Cannock Mill, Old Heath Road, Essex CO2 8AA: An Historic Environment Desk-Based Assessment.
  • <1> Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. 261.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 11 2015 10:22AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.