Monument record MCC2732 - Hull Mill
|Grid reference||TM 01530 23913 (point) (Approximate)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Hull Mill was located on the stream south of the Colne. It was recorded by name in 1438 but may have been St. Botolph's priory's 'new mill' recorded in 1227, which seems to have replaced an earlier mill on the Colne at the Hythe, demolished in the mid 12th century. Hull mill was known as the new or new priory mill between 1311 and 1386 and as the mill in the wood between 1387 and 1435. Like Cannock mill, with which it was leased in 1452 and 1498, Hull mill worked as a corn mill throughout the Middle Ages, and was still one in 1519. In 1405 it also contained a fulling mill.
After the Dissolution it passed to Sir Thomas Audley, reverting to the Crown on his death. It was sold again in 1562. In 1690 it comprised of one water mill, one fulling mill and one oil mill. By 1733, when John rootsey devised it to his son Samuel, it was an oil mill, and it remained so until 1811 when it was sold to Samuel Bawtree and George Savill who demolished it and built a distillery and water corn mill on the site.
The distillery went out of business c. 1841, and in 1843 the buildings, including the water mill with four pairs of stones, one pair of rollers, and an auxiliary steam engine, were sold. The mill worked as a corn mill from 1845 until its demolition in 1896. <1>
- <1> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. 261-262.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2007 4:33PM