Monument record MCC2416 - Site of Dutch Bay Hall, High Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99434 25210 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The Victoria County History records, 'By 1631 the rooms above the Red Row formed the Dutch Bay Hall'.<1><2>
The Flemish immigrants of the 17th century were granted considerable privileges, most notably control of the Dutch Bay Hall to which all 'new draperis' were taken for inspection and sealing before sale.
The Dutch Bay Hall was demolished in 1819.
Ink drawing, the 'Chronicle of Colchester'. Shows the Dutch Bay Hall, High Street.<3>
- <1> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.104.
- <2> SCC326 COLLECTION / PARENT: Various. Essex Records Office Miscellaneous Documents. ERO D/B 5 Gb3f 103v.
- <3> SCC352 Graphic material: Benham, W. G. (Mr). 1944. 'Chronicle of Colchester'. COLEM1964.100.4 A13 A14.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 17 2017 8:16PM