Building record MCC240 - Grammar School, Culver Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99866 25164 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The Royal Grammar School was founded and endowed by Thomas Christmas in his will dated 1520.<1> The School moved to Lexden Road in 1853 but the structure remained until the mid 20th century.
RCHME survey of house, formerly Grammar School (converted to garage). It 'was built in the early in the 16th century and the ground floor has original moulded ceiling-beams and joists'.<2>
Hull notes 'On 11/7/1956 I visited the former Adams Garage in Culver Street, which was some months ago bought by a London firm called 'Car Marts'. I had heard some weeks ago that this firm had pulled down the building which formed its front (or the east half of its front) on Culver Street. This building was actually the old Colchester Grammar School..' this was a medieval building of some note, Hull continues 'When I called this morning little had been done, but a hole being cut for a stanchion at the NW corner seemed to have struck Roman masonry at little more than a foot from the surface. The wall may be running N-S, but we must wait for more to be uncovered. Whatever it was lay below the broken brick and mortar foundations of the Old Grammar School'.<3>
- <1> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p354.
- <2> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. No 127.
- <3> SCC109 Unpublished document: Various. unknown. Colchester SMR files. Insula 30, p765.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Survey: Documentary record for Royal Grammar School, Colchester, 1520 (Ref: ECC1863) (ECC1863)
- Event - Interpretation: Roman remains under old Grammar School, Culver Street, Colchester, 1956 (Ref: ECC438) (ECC438)
- Event - Survey: Survey of former Grammar School, Culver Street, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC868) (ECC868)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2017 8:55AM