Monument record MCC2294 - Middle Mill, River Colne, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99719 25647 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Middle mill on the Colne outside Ryegate, the king's mill belonging to Colchester castle, was recorded c1101 when Henry I granted one third of it to St Botolph's priory. The priory retained that third until the dissolution, when it was granted to Sir Thomas Audley. It presumably escheated to the Crown on his death, and was thus re-united with the remaining two thirds of the mill. The mill descended with other castle lands to Hope and Martha Gifford, and was conveyed to Francis Powell in 1725. It was bought by Charles Gray in 1725. It was bought by Charles Gray in 1757, and passed with the castle lands to the Round family.<1>
Watercolour painting of Middle Mill.<2>
Oil painting of Middle Mill, Colchester.<3>
Oil painting of Middle Mill from East Stream.<4>
Oil painting of Middle Mill.<5>
- <1> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.262.
- <2> SCC353 COLLECTION / PARENT: Benham, Mary. 1918. Collection of works by Mary Benham. COLEM1967.70.15 A13.
- <3> SCC364 Graphic material: Nagle, E. Middle Mill, Colchester. COLEM1970.12.
- <4> SCC362 Graphic material: Unknown. Middle Mill from East Stream. COLEM1934.145 A13.1.
- <5> SCC373 Graphic material: Hansard, W. D.. c1896. Middle Mill, Colchester. COLEM1944.56 A13 8A.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: 1876 (1:500) Ordnance Survey map of Colchester, 1876 (Ref: ECC40) (ECC40)
- Event - Survey: Documentary record for Middle Mill, Colchester, 1101 (Ref: ECC1852) (ECC1852)
- Event - Interpretation: Oil painting of Middle Mill from East Stream, Colchester (Ref: ECC2011) (ECC2011)
- Event - Interpretation: Oil Painting of Middle Mill, Colchester (Ref: ECC2014) (ECC2014)
- Event - Interpretation: Oil Painting of Middle Mill, Colchester, 1896 (Ref: ECC2037) (ECC2037)
- Event - Interpretation: Watercolour at Middle Mill, Colchester, 1918 (Ref: ECC2030) (ECC2030)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2016 3:46PM