Monument record MCC2293 - North Mill, River Colne, Colchester


Medieval watermill on River Colne, dating from pre 1066 to 17th century.


Grid reference TL 99199 25756 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

North Mill, on the Colne north-west of North bridge, was one of the two mills in Lexden in 1066 and 1086. Hubert of St Clare gave it to St John's Abbey between 1148 and 1154, but in 1235 the abbot quitclaimed his interest in the mill, then said to be in the suburbs of Colchester, to Hubert's successors John de Burgh and his wife Hawise de Lanvalei. The mill was held of John de Burgh in 1247 and later of his successors the FitzWalters. Their under tenant, Walter Galingale, gave it to his daughter Sibyl and her husband William Knapton, who in 1338 conveyed it to Sir Geoffrey le Scrope, whose descendants, barons Scrope of Masham, held it until 1493 or later. The mill, a fulling mill in 1380 and 1493, was probably derelict in 1526 when it was described as an old mill; it had disappeared by 1748.<1> The Mill does not appear on the 1648 Siege Map.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.262.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 26 2016 3:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.