Building record MCC17 - 91-93 Hythe Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 01430 24680 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST LEONARD|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
House, three tenements and shops, Nos. 91-3, was built early in the 16th century with cross-wings at the E and W ends, the upper storey projects at the N. end of the E. wing. Inside the building in the main block is an original moulded ceiling beam carved with twisted-leaf foliage and a shield bearing the initials I.G. (or C.) and crescent, triangle and square.<1>
The remaining cross-wing of an early C16 house. Considerably altered 2 storeys and attic, sash windows. Tiled roof.<2>
Two of the tenements (Nos. 91 & 92) were demolished in 1967<3> probably as a result of fire damage which is recorded in an annotation next to the RCHME listed building entry.<1>
The photographs also show the remains of a distinctive, and possibly early, brick chimney stack with crenellated decoration.<3>
Dave Stenning (formerly of Essex County Council Historic Buildings Team) has suggested that the building may be earlier in date, perhaps 15th century.<pers com>
- <1> SCC4 LIST: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Colchester (Essex). p.67.
- <2> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. p.70.
- <3> SCC18 Photograph: Unknown. 1967. Photos of demolition of No's 91 & 92 Hythe Hill. Black & white print.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: 1876 (1:500) Ordnance Survey map of Colchester, 1876 (Ref: ECC40) (ECC40)
- Event - Survey: DOE Listing of 93 Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1971 (Ref: ECC27) (ECC27)
- Event - Survey: Photos of demolition of Nos 91 & 92 Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1967 (Ref: ECC47) (ECC47)
- Event - Survey: RCHME survey of 91-93 Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC16) (ECC16)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 2:17PM