Building record MCC169 - 117-118 High Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99718 25237 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
DOE survey of No. 117 & 118 High Street. Grade II. Modern brick front on earlier timber-framed building probably dating in parts from the C16. Three storeys and attic with a steep-pitched old-tile roof. No. 117 has a cement rendered front with modern shop front on ground floor. Four windows, modern sashes with glazing bars. Two modern box dormers. No. 118 has a painted brick parapet front with an eaves dentil cornice and a shaped cornice below. Modern shop front, two windows above, C19 sashes. Central chimney stack. Small brick wing with hipped roof at rear.<1>
RCHME survey of 118 High Street. A building 'of three storeys, timber-framed and plastered, with modern brick front; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 15th or early in the 16th century but has no ancient features except the roof which is of twp bays with a plain king-post truss, central purlin and curved wind-braces'.<2>
Photograph showing exposed timber framing in the doorway of the shop at No 118 High Street (Jefferies Jewellers) in March 1934.<3>
Portion of oak tenon and fragment of early wallpaper from 118 High Street accessioned by Museum. COLEM 1925.5029.30.<4>
A tessellated pavement was found and destroyed some time before 1907 in enlarging Messrs Wick's wine-cellar, the next cellar west of the George Hotel.<5>
The cellar was recorded as part of the Colchester Cellar Survey 1999-2000.<6>
- <1> SCC4 LIST: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Colchester (Essex). TL9925 SE 5/538.
- <2> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. No 48.
- <3> SCC398 Photograph: Gall, T. C.. 1934. No 118 High Street. B/W Prints.
- <4> SCC146 Serial: Colchester Museums. 1933. Colchester Museum Reports 1925-1933. 1925-1933. COLEM 1925.5029.30.
- <5> SCC126 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1909. Vol. 10 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. X (New Series). p.89.
- <6> SCC73305 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Unknown. 1999-2000. Colchester Cellar Survey 1999-2000. 188 High Street.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: DOE Listing of 117 & 118 High Street, Colchester, 1971 (Ref: ECC502) (ECC502)
- Event - Intervention: Oak tenon & early wallpaper from 118 High Street, Colchester, 1925 (Ref: ECC2269) (ECC2269)
- Event - Interpretation: Photograph of exposed timbering at 118 High Street, Colchester, 1934 (Ref: ECC2067) (ECC2067)
- Event - Survey: Survey of 118 High Street, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC771) (ECC771)
- Event - Interpretation: Tessellated pavement 117 High Street, Colchester, 1907 (Ref: ECC207) (ECC207)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2018 12:59PM