Monument record MCC9294 - St Helen's Chapel Graveyard, St Helen's Lane, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99732 25377 (35m by 35m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
St Helen's Chapel was purchased by the Quakers in 1683 and the adjacent land was used for burials until the Chapel was sold in 1800.
St Helen's Chapel has no architectural features earlier than 13th century, although the 14th century Colchester Chronicle states that the chapel was repaired by Eudo Dapifer in 1076, making an Anglo-Saxon foundation highly likely.<1><2>
The site of the graveyard is located over the site of the Roman theatre MCC2080.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 26 2016 10:41AM