Monument record MCC9290 - St Mary Magdalen's Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TM 00585 24814 (44m by 93m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
St Mary Magdalen's Church was erected in 1853 (consecrated in 1854) on the site of Magdalen Green (at the junction of Magdalen Street and Brook Street). The 19th century church was demolished in 1994.
The medieval church (which lay to the north) was demolished in 1854, after the consecration of a new church to the south. The churchyard was extended south beyond the earlier brick boundary wall and burials continued in both the old and new grounds until the early 20th century; the churchyard extended along the west side of Brook Street, across the site of the medieval church and as far as the almshouses.
- <1> SEX69250 Article in serial: Crossan, Carl. 2004. Excavations at St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Brook Street, Colchester.
- <2> SCC618 Serial: Colchester Archaeological Trust Ltd.. 1989. The Colchester Archaeologist (Issue Number 3) 1989-90. No 3. pp.8-11.
- <3> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.36.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 4 2017 3:03PM