Monument record MCC9059 - Around Ducura's Farm
|Grid reference||Centred TM 026 340 (1238m by 1553m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LANGHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (8)
Large cropmark complex on the south bank of the river Stour. To the north of the reservoir at Dorura's Farm are 3 ring ditches (2 partially destroyed by the reservoir) and a number of field boundaries. A further ring ditch (mill mound) with a central pit is situated to the east where the modern lane is crossed by a cropmark trackway, which leads towards the lane again to the north where it joins the river. At this point is a large group of ring ditches, six large (including 2 double-ditched) and at least 19 smaller. To the south is a ditched trackway and small rectangular `structure', to the east is another group of ring ditches (12+ ) and a small square enclosure. A further trackway is aligned NW-SE to the south of the crossroads at TM 027338C. Flakes and scrapers in 1926 at TM 02723448. <1> Romano-British carved stone of an infant found at TM 027345 (see 2691) AP and other refs: <2> - <31> photo ref <32>
Site Assessment = Accession number for stone?
AP's <33>, <34>, <39> - <43>
There are two cropmark complexes at Langham:
One lies close to the current course of the river adjacent to Low Lift Cottages and a water pumping station. It comprises 9 single ring ditches, between 6.9m and 21.5m in diameter. One has an entranceway and an internal pit. A linear cropmark cuts through this pit. There is also a half ring ditch, 34.7m in diameter and a dual concentric ring ditch 34.7m in diameter. In addition there is a number of linear cropmarks, including what appear to be two trackways running north towards the river. There was a general scatter of worked and burnt flints and a Bronze Age cremation urn was found (see 46146)
The other complex lies to the south of the above and comprises a group of 14 single ring ditches, between 9.5m and 12.2m in diameter. A larger single ring ditch lies to the west of this group. There are linear features, possibly old field boundaries. At the tie of the field survey the area had an immature crop and so fieldwalking was not carried out.
- --- SEX70832 Article in serial: Brown, Nigel, Knopp, Debbie and Strachan, David. 2002. The Archaeology of Constable Country: the crop-marks of the Stour Valley. Landscape History, 24:1, 5-28. Plate VI.
- <1> SEX9536 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA and Tyler, SA. 1976. SMR.
- <2> SEX9537 AP: CUCAP. 1960. AAW22-23.
- <3> SEX9538 AP: CUCAP. 1963. AHR16-17.
- <4> SEX9539 AP: CUCAP. 1972. BIP60-62.
- <6> SEX9541 AP: CUCAP. 1975. TM0234/5/424. Date 1975:7.
- <7> SEX9542 AP: NMR. 1975. TM0234/7/445. Date 1975:7.
- <8> SEX9543 AP: NMR. 1975. TM0123/7/444. Date 1975:7.
- <9> SEX9544 AP: NMR. 1975. TM0334/3/428. Date 1975:7.
- <10> SEX9545 AP: NMR. 1976. TM0234/12/436. Date 1976:6.
- <11> SEX9546 AP: NMR. 1976. TM0234/13/438. Date 1976:6.
- <12> SEX9547 AP: Farrands, RH. 1974. 123.2, 123.6. Date 1974:8.
- <13> SEX9548 AP: Farrands, RH. 1974. 120.6, 120.7. Date 1974:8.
- <14> SEX9549 AP: Farrands, RH. 1976. 135.4. Date 1976:6.
- <15> SEX9550 AP: Farrands, RH. 1976. 137.2, 137.6, 137.7. Date 1976:6.
- <16> SEX9551 AP: Farrands, RH. 1977. 163.8.
- <17> SEX9552 AP: Farrands, RH. 1980. 225.6. Date 1980:6.
- <18> SEX9553 AP: McMaster, I. 1977. 0.5-6.
- <19> SEX9554 AP: unknown. 1977. B.7.179a. Date 1977:7.
- <20> SEX9555 AP: McMaster, I. 1979. 3.10, 11.
- <22> SEX9557 AP: Couchman, C. 1974. 3.31. Date 1974:8.
- <23> SEX9558 AP: unknown. 1976. DN14, 15.
- <24> SEX9559 AP: unknown. 1976. DG12.
- <25> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM03SW33, 1976.
- <26> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM03SW34, 1976.
- <27> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM03SW36, 1977.
- <28> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM03SW04, 1976.
- <29> SEX9564 DESC TEXT: Erith, FH. 1963. A Cropmark of an aggrandised barrow at Langham. Vol 6, pp.28-29.
- <30> SEX9565 DESC TEXT: McMaster, I. 1971. Cropmarks:An Appeal for Conservation and Observation. Vol 14, pp13-14.
- <31> SEX9566 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1975. Vol 18, p24.
- <32> SEX52561 AP: NMR. 1979. TM022332.
- <33> SEX54642 AP: Strachan, David. 1999. CP/99/13/6, 11.
- <34> SEX54643 AP: Strachan, David. 1999. CP/99/12/15.
- <35> SEX9566 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1975. Vol 18, p24.
- <36> SEX57669 AP: Rogers, P. 1993. 503-11.
- <37> SEX57670 AP: Tyler, Sue. 1997. CP/97/36/24.
- <38> SEX9540 AP: unknown. 1976. AP by 1976.
- <39> SEX63885 AP: Strachan, David. 1999. CP/99/12/15.
- <40> SEX63886 AP: Strachan, David. 1999. CP/99/13/6.
- <41> SEX63887 AP: Strachan, David. 1999. CP/99/13/11.
- <42> SEX65429 AP: Saunders, Helen. 2005. CP/05/11/12-13. 2 Pics.
- <43> SEX66198 AP: Saunders, Helen. 2006. CP/06/18/08 - 12. 5 frames 31/7/2006.
- <44> SEX69463 AP (Digital): Saunders, Helen. 2009. EX09_06_065-069.
- <45> SEX69503 AP: Saunders, Helen. 2002. CP/02/16/25, 27-35.
- <46> SEX69504 AP: Strachan, David. 1996. CP/96/12/15.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2020 3:33PM