Monument record MCC9030 - St Mary Magdelen's, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0058 2483 (41m by 138m) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Site of medieval church to the N of the C11 leper hospital and now a graveyard. It was dissolved in 1547 and refounded in 1610. The present stucture dates from 1853.<1> The medieval church stood on the N side of Magdalen Green, there are no visible foundations. The nave was considered modern in 1768. <2> <4> The old church was part of the Norman hospital and lies under the now disused graveyard. It was dismantled in 1853 for the present church.<3>
Rescuse excavations in Churchyard and adjacent almshouse revealed remains of a small medieval hospital and recorded sages in its transition to a post-medieval almshouse. Some excavated skeletons showed abnormalaties consistent with leprosy.
- --- SEX69250 Article in serial: Crossan, Carl. 2004. Excavations at St Mary Magdalen's Hospital, Brook Street, Colchester.
- --- SEX9375 DESC TEXT: Morant, P. 1768. History and Antiquities of Essex.
- <2> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <3> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM02SW14, 1953.
- <4> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p36, 103.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2016 9:48AM