Element record MCC899 - Roman tessellated pavement, gardeners market, High Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99559 25268 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Wire's diary 23/5/1844 notes, ' Mr Bewick gave me a small piece of tessellated pavement being the remains of a beautiful one discovered in the gardener's market some years since'.<1>
Wheeler and Laver refer this to the western of the two marks on the OS map, presumably on the authority of Cutts.<2> <3><4><5>
- <1> SCC36 DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. 23/5/1844.
- <2> SCC11 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1876. 1876 OS 1:500 Maps of Colchester. 1:500.
- <2> SCC72874 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. c.1805. 1805 1 inch OS Maps of Colchester.
- <3> SCC76 Monograph: Cutts, Reverend Edward L.. 1889. Historic Towns, Colchester. map inside book. p34, map 1, 7.
- <4> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 19, No 19,p.151.
- <5> SCC78 Article in serial: Wheeler, R. E. M. and Laver, P. G.. 1919. Roman Colchester. J.R.S. Volume IX page 139. p160.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 30 2016 3:06PM