Monument record MCC8957 - Church of Saint Lawrence, East Donyland (site of)


Parish church of East Donyland, demolished in 1837.


Grid reference Centred TM 0245 2123 (60m by 79m) (FCE)
Map sheet TM02SW
County ESSEX


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Parish church, demolished in 1837. The site and the graveyard remain open.<1> The church is marked on Chap & Andre's 1777 map.<5>
Some of the fittings are in the new church (Church of St Lawrence in Rowhedge).<2>
"The church is of one pace with the chancel, both tiled and small. At the west end there is a little turret, containing one bell." <3>
Three photos in Essex HER.<4>

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.90.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Morant, P. unknown. History of Essex.
  • <4> Photograph: unknown. 1981. TM02-007. 3 frames.
  • <5> Cartographic materials: Chapman, John and Andre, Peter. 1777. A Plan of Colchester Borough. In chains.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 8 2016 12:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.