Monument record MCC8906 - Priors Pit, Frog Hall Farm
|Grid reference||Centred TM 033 197 (1206m by 642m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||FINGRINGHOE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Cropmarks, showing linear features, possible field system, and ring-ditches. An area was excavated in 1975 in advance of gravel extraction. Several pits were found, one containing burnt seeds. Virtually all the finds were Iron Age in date, and included a loom-weight, spindle whorls, but no bone due to the acidic of the soil. The seeds are being C14 dated.<1> These cropmarks appear to extend to link up with several other sites: 2272 and 2601 in particular <2>
Further bibliography under 2601 Other and AP refs: <3>-<9>
- <1> SEX7938 EXCAV REPORT: Brooks, H. 1976. An Interim Summary of the Excavations at Frog Hall Farm, Fingringhoe, Essex.
- <2> SEX6712 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1975. SMR.
- <3> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM01NW37, 1976.
- <4> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM01NW38, 1976.
- <5> SEX7941 LIST: unknown. 1976. Cropmarks. Vol 19, p22.
- <6> SEX7955 AP: RAF. 1950. 58/514/pt3/5454-5455.
- <7> SEX7943 AP: Potato Marketing Board. 1974. PMB/4/038/74/191.
- <8> SEX7944 AP: NMR. 1974. TM0319-1-108. Date 1974:6.
- <9> SEX7945 AP: NMR. 1974. TM0319-2-109, 111. Date 1974:6.
- <10> SEX22419 Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2012. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000.
- <11> SEX68410 AP: Saunders, Helen. 2008. CP/08/25/07-13.
- <12> SEX26967 AP: CUCAP. 1969. AXQ48, 49.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2020 3:37PM