Monument record MCC8879 - Bronze Age barrow cemetery and undated cropmarks, Bonds Green Farm, East Mersea
|Grid reference||Centred TM 057 146 (360m by 704m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||EAST MERSEA, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (6)
- LINEAR FEATURE (undetermined, Undated)
- TRACKWAY (undetermined, Undated)
- BUILDING (undetermined, Undated)
- RING DITCH (Early Bronze Age to Late Bronze Age - 2000 BC to 701 BC)
- ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC) (Early Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
Ring ditches observed in 1964.<1> Linear features, including a possible trackway, are heavily masked by geological features. A possible causewayed ring ditch at TM05751465. CUC photographs of 1979 show about eight ring ditches (one double-ditched), a circular post hole structure and other faint ditches.<2> Four ring ditches visible from ground observation by J.B. Bennett.<3> AP refs: <4>-<9> Other ref: <10>
The NMP mapped nine ring ditches, probably representing a Bronze Age round barrow cemetery. There are seven complete single ring-ditches, ranging in size from 7-10m and on the west side of the cluster one partial ring-ditch is visible and open to the west and measures c.10m in diameter. The large double ditched ring ditch is 17m in diameter with no visible entrances or causeways. To the south of the cluster of ring ditches, there is a further ring ditch 13m in diameter which abuts a long linear features which maybe a former field boundary. To the south of this, there is a large enclosure 60m x 91m that appears to have a complex entrance way and a ring-ditch within its interior, 11m in diameter, which could represent a possible round house.<11>
- <1> SEX7813 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1964. Excavations. Vol 7, No 3, p.34.
- <2> SEX1636 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. 1980. SMR.
- <3> SEX7819 DESC TEXT: Colchester Archaeology Group. 1975. Colchester Archaeol Group Annu Bull. Vol 18, p.24.
- <4> SEX7820 AP: RAF. 1956. 540/1785/0063-0064.
- <5> SEX7821 AP: CUCAP. 1976. BXM96, 100.
- <6> SEX7822 AP: CUCAP. 1979. CJF4-6.
- <7> SEX7823 AP: NMR. 1976. TM0514/2/412-415. Date 1976:6.
- <8> SEX7824 AP: NMR. 1979. TM0514/1/471, 473, 475. Date 1979:7.
- <9> SEX7825 AP: unknown. unknown. 2 frames, unref.
- <10> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM01SE12, 1976.
- <11> SEX22419 Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2012. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2017 3:21PM