Monument record MCC8790 - Wick Farm
|Grid reference||Centred TM 046 193 (1231m by 667m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||FINGRINGHOE, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (7)
- SETTLEMENT (C1-2, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIT (43-68, Colchester Roman Fortress to Early Roman Colonia - 43 AD to 68 AD)
- CEMETERY (43-68, Colchester Roman Fortress to Early Roman Colonia - 43 AD to 68 AD)
- WELL (43-68, Colchester Roman Fortress to Early Roman Colonia - 43 AD to 68 AD)
- WHARF (43-68, Colchester Roman Fortress to Early Roman Colonia - 43 AD to 68 AD)
- HOUSE (C1-C2, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- HYPOCAUST (C1-C2, Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Roman settlement gradually revealed during gravel works with little organised investigation. Possibly an early camp for much of the material is early. It consists of Claudian-Neronian material from pits, parts of a cemetery, two timber-lined wells and a possible landing place. There were also at least three Roman houses with hypocausts and tessalated pavements and a bronze vessel. <1> One of the houses was partially excavated by Hull in 1936 and although it contained a hypocaust, it was of poor quality. <2> Imported vessel of beaten bronze found in 1932. <3> Most of the finds, including the Benton collection, are in Colchester Museum including military equipment, coins, brooches, pottery and other items. <4> Other refs: <5> <6> <7>
Site Assessment = Accession numbers?
- --- SEX7358 Artifact: unknown. unknown. Benton.
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX7369 DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1938. J Roman Stud. Vol 28, p189.
- <3> SEX7370 DESC TEXT: Eggers, J. 1966. Romische Bronzefasse in Britannien. Vol 3, p.67.
- <4> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TM01NW32, 1975.
- <5> SEX6 DESC TEXT: Powell, WR. 1963. Victoria County History, Essex, Vol III (VCH). Vol 3, pp.131-132.
- <6> SEX10 Artifact: Colchester Museum. unknown. ARTEFACT Col Mus.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM