Element record MCC846 - Roman tessellated pavement, Bishop's Blaise, 35 West Stockwell Street, Colchester

Summary

Roman tessellated pavement, Bishop's Blaise, recorded in 1843.

Location

Grid reference TL 99536 25507 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Red pavement recorded in the yard of a public house known as the 'Bishop Blaise', the debate over the location of this pub is recorded in Hull's Roman Colchester.<1> Wire's diary is the earliest reference given but this is just a geographic note.<2> It is not clear who made the original observation. Hull's location has been used for plotting on the GIS.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 3, No 24, p.80.
  • <2> DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. 10/9/1843.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 23 2017 12:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.