Monument record MCC8423 - Colchester - West Lodge
|Grid reference||TL 9855 2484 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
In 1848 construction of West Lodge for Mr Taylor; the site was found to be in the middle of a Roman cemetery. Accounts of discoveries are not very clear. In 1849 British Archaelogiacl Association visited West Lodge and saw graves opened although only "comparatively small portion of Mr Taylor's ground has been examined nearly two hundred vessels have been found". Taylors grpund probably covered the area now occupied by the houses and gardens W of West Lodge Road and on both sides of the Avenue. Up to 2.4.1849 Taylor had c.40 cinerary urns, 1 acre had been dug and 7 acres remained. In all the vessels presented by Taylor to the museum amounted to some 170 with tiles from a tile tomb, including 22 burial groups of which there are coloured drawings by Josiah Parish showing them as found (see source 4). <1> - <4>
- <1> SEX33867 DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1958. Roman Colchester. p250.
- <2> SEX373 DESC TEXT: Trans Essex Archaeological Soc. unknown. Trans Essex Archaeol Soc. OS, Vol 1, p4.
- <3> SEX36152 DESC TEXT: British Archaeology Association. unknown. J Brit Archaeol Assoc. Vol 5, p.9, 133.
- <4> SEX36846 Graphic material: May, T. 1930. Catalogue of Roman pottery in the Colchester and Essex Museum. plates 91-93.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM