Monument record MCC8340 - Colchester - North Cemetery
|Grid reference||TL 98 25 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
North cemetery of Roman Colchester, discovered by Wire whose notes on it begin in 1842. Between that time and 1912 when it again came to the notice of the museum the most significant part of it must have been removed. Urns first came up in the making of the railway cutting E of the station in 1843 an odd urn further S was accompanied by a coin of Trajan. Other scattered urns have been found between the Kings Meadow and the railway (Hulls site 87) but the main concentration was near the brickyard E of the station. The graves first found includded 2 burials in globular amphorae(Hull's sites 89 and 90), one of which contained 6 vessels of glass. In 1912 Mr H Money's collection of objects including gold earrings, a silver spoon, and a jet necklace with pendant came to the museum. In 1928-9 the museum recovered 32 graves consisting of groups or single vessels. None of these are remarkably early and the cemetery seems to have been used to a moderate extent fairly evenly from the end of the C1 to the late C3 or beginning of C4. Vessels include 2 fine glass urns. No inhumations are recorded though the necklace suggests there was one. <1> - <6>
- --- SEX10 Artifact: Colchester Museum. unknown. ARTEFACT Col Mus.
- <1> SEX33867 DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1958. Roman Colchester. p257.
- <2> SEX8781 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1929. Col Mus Rep. p21.
- <3> SEX6012 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1930. Col Mus Rep. p29-.
- <4> SEX2348 DESC TEXT: Journal of Roman Studies. unknown. J Roman Stud. Vol 19, p198.
- <5> SEX2348 DESC TEXT: Journal of Roman Studies. unknown. J Roman Stud. Vol 21, p236.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM