Monument record MCC8106 - Colchester-Butt Road (police station)
|Grid reference||TL 9929 2483 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
Excavations revealed 741 graves, part of an originally much greater number but many were removed during relatively recent sand quarrying. Cemetery comprised broadly two phases, the first a relatively small number of graves all more or less aligned north-south. Initially the site was not used exclusively for burial and the earliest recorded burials seem to have occured when the land was used for other purposes including probable pottery making and metal working. The second phase dating from the early part of the fourth century was laid out on top of the first. Graves were east-west with the heads to the west. They were laid out in tightly packed rows which eventually crept over and obliterated the first century graves. Most of the bodies of both main phases were buried in nailed wooden coffins but various other types were also present including lead coffins, hollowed tree trunks, timber vaults and graves with no coffins at all. At one corner of the cemetery and associated with its second phase was a long narrow building which was constructed between AD320 and 340. Oriented east-west an apse was added to the east end in a secondary phase. The building was divided by a wooden screen and two rows of posts ran down the eastern half forming aisles. The full structual sequence has proved difficult to understand but it is clear that the west wall had been rebuilt and the internal plan radically altered by the insertion of substantial posts. Some grave like pits at the eastern end of the church appear to have been burials. The building is interpreted on strong circumstantial evidence as an early christian church. The remains of this building have been placed on permanant display with partial reconstruction. <13> Other refs <1> - <12>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX36275 DESC TEXT: Crummy, N. 1983. Colchester Archaeol Rep 2. No 2.
- <4> SEX36276 DESC TEXT: Crummy, N. 1987. Colchester Archaeol Rep 4. No 4.
- <5> SEX36277 DESC TEXT: Crummy, N. 1988. Colchester Archaeol Rep 5. No 5.
- <6> SEX36279 DESC TEXT: Cotter, J. unknown. Colchester Archaeol Rep. No 7, forthcoming.
- <7> SEX36280 DESC TEXT: Cool, H and Price, J. unknown. Colchester Archaeol Rep. No 8, forthcoming.
- <8> SEX36183 DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1993. Colchester Arch Rep 9. No 9, BUC76-9, forthcoming.
- <9> SEX36281 DESC TEXT: Symonds, RP and Wade, S. unknown. Colchester Archaeol Rep. No 10, forthcoming.
- <10> SEX36282 DESC TEXT: Luff, R. unknown. Colchester Archaeol Rep. No 12, forthcoming.
- <11> SEX36301 DESC TEXT: McWhirter. unknown. Guinness Book of Records.
- <12> SEX36302 DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1989. Secrets of the Grave.
- <13> SEX36303 DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1990. A Roman Church in Colchester. No.120, p406-408.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM