Monument record MCC8070 - Section across Shrub End Dyke, the former Royal Eastern Counties Hospital, Straight Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9659 2424 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Shrub End Dyke was cut in two places by service trenches during construction work at Kingsmead (former Royal Eastern Counties Hospital), Straight Road, in 1984. These revealed the western edge of the ditch, 21.5m from the western boundary wall. The ditch was found to be 6m wide x just over 3m deep (although neither trench cut the ditch to its full depth). It also showed that Triple Ditch did not extend this far south (because only one ditch was defined).<1><2><3>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SCC101 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. pp.1045-1046, 10/84.
- <3> SCC110 Serial: Hawkes, Christopher, F. C. & Crummy, Philip. 1995. CAR 11: Camulodunum II. 11. pp.159-160, No. 81.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Parent of: Peartree Junction, Colchester (Monument) (MCC8177)
- Parent of: Section across Shrub End Dyke, Morman Church, Straight Road, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7082)
- Part of: Shrub End Dyke, Colchester (Monument) (MCC7467)
- Part of: Undated ditch, Kingsmead House, 108 Straight Road, Colchester (Monument) (MCC5444)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 8 2016 10:10AM