Monument record MCC8033 - Colchester - High Street - Cups Hotel

Summary

Morant states that `near half of a very fine and elegant (pavement) was discovered, 12 May 1763, on the N side of High Street, in a garden belonging to Mr John Bernard, appothecary and chirugeon, late part of a yard of the Falcon and Queen

Location

Grid reference TL 9955 2522 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Morant description and excavations from 1973-4.
Morant states that `near half of a very fine and elegant (pavement) was discovered, 12 May 1763, on the N side of High Street, in a garden belonging to Mr John Bernard, appothecary and chirugeon, late part of a yard of the Falcon and Queen's Head Inn (=the Cups). Mr Bernard hath enclosed and covered it, in order to preserve it .. an exact drawing of it was engraved and delivered with Lexden Hundred, when that part of the History of Essex was published'. Near this was found either part of the same or another when a stable was pulled down, which was supposed to be an old Roman building. Original colour drawing reproduced in source 1. The decorated portion of the pavement (which is stated to have been found in the garden of the Three Cups about 3ft below the surface in 1763) was probably c.10ft square. <1> Probably the same pavement noted by Cromwell "A fragment of ... pavement was discovered in the market place but which was then part of the garden of Mr Wallis, a tradesman whose house fronted the High Street and is now part of the Three Cups Inn. It remains where it was found, at the depth of a few feet from the surface ... being partly bricked over and partly covered by a trapdoor ... the whole ... from neglect and the admission of rain is going rapidly to decay". <1> <2> See source 3 for other refs. <3>
Major excavation in 1973-4 before construction of office block. Main trench revealed:-
Excavation of insitu deposits remaining revealed remains of a military street;
building 152 : with partly sunken rooms, three rooms of building examined showing evidence of burning ;
Building 153: limited remains of house remained including a hearth.
Building 154: Small part of a house with a 'semi-cellar' discovered.
Extensive finds. Only those hihlighted in report on SMR. <4>

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1958. Roman Colchester. p150.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: Cromwell, T. 1825. History of Colchester. p200.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3.
  • < 4> DESC TEXT: Crummy, P. 1992. Colchester Archaeological Report 6. Excavations at Culver Street, Gilberd School and other sites in Colchester. Pg328-338..

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Nov 3 2015 11:41AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.