Monument record MCC7985 - Colchester - Crouched Friars Monastery
|Grid reference||TL 9910 2494 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (6)
Site of the Crouched Friars Monastery. an Augustinian house, founded 1235, originally a convent and hospital called Holy Cross. By 1392 it had become a secular hospital or free chapel. In 1496 Crouched Friars regained possession. Dissolved 1538. Located in 1928 when C14-C15 foundations and pottery were found during demolition of 44 Crouch Street. <1> A C13 foundation, somewhere off Crouch St, just to the SW of the walled town. Nothing is known of its buildings. <2> The house was founded by William de Lanvelli in 1235 and originally consisted of a convent of Augustinian Friars and a hospital called the Holy Cross. By 1342 it was a secular hospital or free chapel and in 1407 a fraternity of St Helen in the Chapel of Holy Cross was founded ehrn it became a lesser secular alms house. In 1496 the Crutched (Crouched) Friars regained possession. The site was located in 1928 (as mentioned above) during demolition prior to building a new garage. A headstone was still visible in the garage cellars in 1950 according to OS. <3> - <8> According to this source, the site of St Katherine's Hospital of the Crouched Friars. Nothing is known of its buildings, little of its history. Founded between 1224 and 1279. <9> The almshouses were converted to a workhouse in C18 and Morant refers to them as St Katherine's Hospital at `The Spittle'. <7>
- <1> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p32.
- <3> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.13.
- <4> SEX8781 DESC TEXT: Colchester Museum. 1929. Col Mus Rep. pp50-52.
- <5> SEX24766 DESC TEXT: Knowles, D and Hadcock, RN. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses. p210, 318, 353.
- <6> SEX36039 DESC TEXT: Clay, RM. 1966. Medieval Hospitals of England. p290.
- <7> SEX35680 DESC TEXT: Morant, P. 1748. History of Essex. Vol 1, pp149-151.
- <8> SEX3355 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1907. Essex. Vol 1, pp181-182.
- <9> SEX874 DESC TEXT: Eddy, MR with Petchey, MR. 1983. Historic Towns in Essex: An Archaeological Survey. p49.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM