Monument record MCC7972 - Colchester - St Mary's Hospital
|Grid reference||TL 98 25 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (5)
(Presumably the following relates to St Mary's Hospital (formerly the Union House) despite Hull placing the account immediately after a note of remains found at the Essex County Hospital). " A manuscipt plan in the Museum by PG Laver shows a number of fragments of walls and pavements in the Union grounds or near them. Some may have belonged to tombs, others certainly did not. Though described as `extensive' by PG Laver, they are really disjointed perhaps partly because so very fragmentary. Wire says `watched the excvations for the foundations of the infirmary at the Union House, only a few fragments of pottery have been discovered, but a foundation at the NW corner running W made with fragments of Roman roof tiles and bricks cemented together with a loose kind of mortar in which sand was the principal (source 3). From time to time loose remains from buildings here have been found in these grounds, eg, two fragments of quarter-round moulding of red mortar, faced with fine plaster painted red; fragments of painted wall plaster (red and red-and-yellow) (CM 2889-90.14); more red painted plaster; and part of a red tessellated floor east of the infirmary (CM 708.29 (NB: wrong or duplicate number)); fragments of slabs and veneering of Purbeck Marble are quite frequently found. The levels to which these remains belong have not been observed which is unfortunate, because the depth of soil here is apparently sometimes great. Objects are often recorded as found as deep as 12ft, possibly in pits, but we do not know. The OS 1:500 map shows `Roman remains' found NE of the Union and under the SW corner of the fever ward, both in 1861, but does not state their nature". <1> - <8>
- <1> SEX33867 DESC TEXT: Hull, MR. 1958. Roman Colchester. p244.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p29.
- <3> SEX36003 DESC TEXT: Wire, W. 1848. Wire Diary. 5 May.
- <4> SEX10 Artifact: Colchester Museum. unknown. ARTEFACT Col Mus. Acc No 2889-90.14.
- <5> SEX10 Artifact: Colchester Museum. unknown. ARTEFACT Col Mus. Acc No 708.29.
- <6> SEX36053 Map: Ordnance Survey. unknown. 1:500. 1:500.
- <7> SEX74 MENTION: unknown. unknown. SMR.
- <8> SEX36005 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1914. List of Addresses to the Museum. pp9-10.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM