Monument record MCC7951 - St Botolph's Priory, Colchester

Summary

Trial trenching NE of the standing remains of the nave of the Priory Church (see MCC7950) revealed traces of the previously unrecorded transept.

Location

Grid reference TL 998 249 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92SE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Trial trenching NE of the standing remains of the nave of the Priory Church (see 12380) revealed traces of the previously unrecorded transept. Substantial mortared masonry foundations sat on an unmortared sand and stone deposit. The SW corner had been buttressed and survived intact almost to floor level. Its N wall had been largely robbed, following the dissolution of the Priory in 1536 when the nave was converted to a parish church. The line of the E wall had been destroyed by post-medieval pit digging but it is clear that the transet was comparatively small, c.4.5 x 8.25m internally. The N wall of the E arm of the church and the transept floor had also been robbed. Two probable Medieval burials were located W of the transept. <1>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: Shimmin, D in Priddy, D. 1987. Excavations in Essex 1986. Vol 18, p.106.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: Shimmin, D. 1986. St Botolph's Priory. No 19, pp.6-7.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jan 9 2017 11:57AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.