Monument record MCC7850 - St Mary's Church, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9922 2505 (point) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
THe earliest part of the present building is the stump of the early C16 W tower. The rest of the church was rebuilt in brick, 1713-14, after the siege in 1648, later demolished to make way for the present red brick structure. <1> The church stands in the SW angle of the walled town. W tower walls are stone with limestone dressings; upper stage is brick. The tower is mid to late C15 or early C16, - lower two stages. The church was ruined in the siege of 1648 and rebuilt 1713-14, but was pulled down in the second half of the C19 and the present church built in 1872. The tower top stage was added in 1729. Tower has original windows and W doorway. <2> <4> Big late Perpendicular tower with diagional buttresses and at the base a frieze of shields. <3> The church occupies an * and somewhat * position in the SW corner of the walled town. Little is known of the Medieval church; the tower stood at the NW corner of the Medieval church. <5>
Site Assessment = No current threat but should disturbance of floor or ground take place, excavation would be necessary. <5>
- <1> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p29.
- <3> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p121.
- <4> SEX35453 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester. p14.
- <5> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p33.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM