Monument record MCC7830 - Colchester - St Helens Chapel, Maidenburgh Street

Summary

The building has been restored and partly rebuilt in 'modern' times.

Location

Grid reference TL 9975 2539 (point) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

The building has been restored and partly rebuilt in 'modern' times.<1><2> In the C14 this was a chantry, later supressed. Subsequently it became a Quaker Meeting House; then a furniture store; and a finds store for Colchester Museum. Thoroughly restored 1883-6 by William Butterfield. The graveyard does not belong to the chapel as such but to the time when it was in use as a Quaker Meeting House. It is fairly small, lies W of the chapel and has been thoroughly tidied.<3> The chapel was bought and restored by P. Round in 1883.<4>

Site Assessment = Interior walls are all covered with C19 plaster. A ceiling of similar date hides the roof timbers; the wood block floor is modern. Quaker graveyard has been levelled, probably in the C19. The ground has been lowered on the N side of the chapel, thus exposing the Roman work.<3>

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.50.
  • <2> DESC TEXT: unknown. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest:Colchester. p.89.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. pp.37-38.
  • <4> RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE3.4, 1976.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 23 2019 3:47PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.