Monument record MCC7563 - St Michaels Church, Berechurch
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9930 2189 (81m by 94m) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Church built c.1500 and heavily restored in 1872 involving much rebuilding. <1> The north chapel has a fine hammerbeam roof rich with carving and painted coats of arms - C17 of the Audley family. There is a fine altar tomb with effigy of Sir Henry Audley, 1648. <2> The east window of the chancel is probably early C17. The fittings include brasses in the north chapel to Thomas Audley 1584, and John Awdeley 1588; a monument in the north chapel to Sir Henry Audley and Anne, his wife, erected in 1648; a black and white marble monument with reclining figure in armour; a monument to Robert Awdeley 1624 and a floor slab to Catherine, wife of Robert Awdeley 1641. There is black and white marble square paving of C17 date in the north chapel. C16 or C17 screen in the archway to the north chapel of wrought iron. <3> Churchyard survey completed 1980 - records at Col Mus. <4> <5>
- <1> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p97.
- <2> SEX9005 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Borough. p10.
- <3> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.45-46.
- <4> SEX34202 DESC TEXT: Davies, GMR and de Brisay, K. 1981. Churchyard surveys in the Colchester District. Vol 24, p6-9.
- <5> SEX34203 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1980. DESC TEXT by . churchyard survey.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM