Monument record MCC7485 - St Michaels Church (remains of), Myland

Summary

The first chapel at Mile End was built c.1360 and destroyed in 1648 (date of Civil War seige). A second church was erected in 1660 and demolished in 1870

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 9928 2674 (41m by 41m) (FCE)
Map sheet TL92NE
Civil Parish MYLAND, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Remains of possibly C14-C15 church which fell down in the C19. <1> The first chapel at Mile End was built c.1360 and destroyed in 1648. A second church was erected in 1660 and demolished in 1870 with the exception of some wall fragments containing Medieval and Roman brick. <2> The church was a simple two-celled building with a bell turret. The church was demolished when a new one was erected in a more populous place. The site of the old church and graveyard are under the rectory garden and are probably heavily disturbed. <3> On the site are the remains of the rubble foundations of the nave, about 18 feet wide and of indeterminate length; the chancel has entirely disappeared. <4> Investigation and conservation of the remaining walls undertaken during the building of flats in 1975 which entailed the landscaping of the graveyard. According to Morant `the church is of one pace with the chancel and very small'. The nave is now known to be 18'9" wide and 32'9" long with walls 2'-2'6" thick. The north doorway ahd been blocked, that on the south side was entered through a porch in which were found the damaged remains of an octagonal font made of rendered brick. The east wall of the chancel was not reached. A simple but much rebuilt post conquest church seems to be indicated. <5>

Site Assessment = In 1975 the area was landscaped and the visible remains of the church preserved. It is hoped to carry out further conservation work in 1976. <2> The site now lies under the rectory garden and is probably now heavily disturbed. Traces of the building were visible when the RCHM visited - `archaeologically unassessable'. <3> Construction of flats in 1975 entailed the landscaping of the graveyard of the old church of St Michael which had been demolished in the C19. All standing foundations were removed in August 1975 when the aea was levelled. More notable gravestones were later replaced in the south-west corner of the churchyard. When enough walling was found to have survived either at or just

Sources/Archives (6)

  • --- Photograph: unknown. unknown. unknown.
  • <1> DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
  • <2> RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE60, 1976.
  • <3> DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p114.
  • <4> DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.47.
  • <5> DESC TEXT: Davies, GMR. 1976. The old church of St Michsel, Mile End. N0 19, p21.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Feb 8 2019 11:26AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.