Monument record MCC7314 - Rampart south of Haynes Green
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9088 1754 (532m by 80m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||LAYER MARNEY, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
The rampart in part consists of a double bank with a waterfilled ditch between the banks. The bank survives to a height of 1m and is 2m wide constructed of sandy loam.<1> The bank and ditch have been cut into sections by levelling to create access to the field for the farmer. The western section of the earthwork has no bank on the north but a slight outer bank, 0.5m high, to the south. The eastern section has a bank 1m high and southern bank 1.5m high; at this point the banks and ditches are a total of 27m in width. The flat bottomed ditch is reed and waterfilled. Further east the ditch disappears into a small drainage ditch and there is no sign of any bank; this stretch is not scheduled. <2> The ramparts run east-west across a low spur between two dry valleys. Erosion on part of the outer banks face revealed that it was constructed, at least in part of sandy loam, in contrast to the chalky boulder clay of the adjacent field. No finds were recorded from the eroded face.<3> AP in SMR shows only the eastern, unscheduled end of the rampart.<4> Other refs.<5><6>
Site Assessment = Horse riding and associated jumps are spoiling the surface. There is also plough damage to the south side. It was in reasonable condition in Jan 1980.<1> On the western section of the earthwork only a slight outer bank remains - the farmer has removed vegetation from this bank and has been running vehicles on it.<2>
- <1> SEX33223 DESC TEXT: Eddy, MR. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX33224 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1986. DOE Sheduled Ancient Monuments, Essex (parts 5-8).
- <3> SEX33225 DESC TEXT: Eddy, MR. 1978. Layer Marney, the ramparts.
- <4> SEX9847 AP: McMaster, I. unknown. McMaster. TL91-008.
- <5> SEX373 DESC TEXT: Trans Essex Archaeological Soc. unknown. Trans Essex Archaeol Soc. ns, Vol 5, p.100.
- <6> SEX1942 DESC TEXT: British Archaeology Association. unknown. J Brit Archaeol Ass. Vol 19, p.277.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Field Survey: Field visit to 11403 by Paterson, H, FMW (Ref: FMW) (ECC3120)
- Field Survey: Field visit to 11403 by Paterson, H, FMW (Ref: FMW) (ECC3119)
- Field Survey: Field visit to 11403 by Sherlock, D, IAM (Ref: IAM) (ECC3117)
- Field Survey: Field visit to 11403 by Walters, IAM (Ref: IAM) (ECC3118)
- Event - Interpretation: Heritage impact assessment of The Rampart, Haynes Green, Layer Marney, 2017 (Ref: ECC4483) (ECC4483)
Record last edited
Apr 22 2020 8:09AM