Monument record MCC7307 - Church of St Peter and Paul, Birch
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9440 1995 (143m by 115m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||BIRCH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Victorian church on the site of a medieval church demolished in 1849. <1><2><3><4><5> Photo ref <6>
The new church was purportedly constructed by Samuel Sanders Teulon, a 19th century English Gothic Revival architect. A plan shows the old church in relation to the new church, and in relation to graves (although only 38 are marked).<8>
The Round family (Charles Gray Round, 1797-1867) greatly influenced the appearance of the parish by rebuilding Birch Hall, the school, St. Peter's church, a new rectory house, and by adding some distinctive new houses in the parish.<7>
'Birch: Introduction', in A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10, Lexden Hundred (Part) Including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe, ed. Janet Cooper (London, 2001), pp. 38-44. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/essex/vol10/pp38-44 [accessed 6 June 2016].
The extent of the churchyard as marked on the OS 1:2500 Epoch 1 map (1874-1887),was approx. half the size of the modern churchyard.
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX224 Photograph: unknown. unknown. SMR. 2 frames.
- <3> SEX60476 AP: Tyler, Sue. 2000. CP/00/6/2-4.
- <4> SEX60480 AP: Carter, PJ. 2000. CP/00/2/3/1.
- <5> SEX60481 AP: Carter, PJ. 2000. CP/00/2/3/12, 13.
- <6> SEX62218 Photograph: Tyler, Sue. 2000. Church of St Peter and St Paul, Birch. print.
- <7> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. pp.38-44.
- <8> SCC72871 DRAWING - PLAN: Tuelon, S.S.. 1850. Plan of Birch St Peter and St Paul Church.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 9 2016 1:10PM