Monument record MCC7066 - St Leonards Church, Lexden
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9712 2507 (67m by 175m) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
A chapel of the Park at Lexden was extant in 1201 and 1237. On the north side of St Leonards Church stands a little aisle or chapel, aligned N to S. The remains of this chapel are visible on the north side of St Leonards church.<1><2>
Morant states that the medieval church which stood immediately north of the present church in the same churchyard comprised a nave, chancel and north `aisle or chapel' which was set at right angles to the main axis - presumably therefore a transept (confirmed by a watercolour).<3>
The chapel of the Park is mentioned in confirmations to Colchester Abbey by Pope Innocent in 1201 and Roger, Bishop of London in 1237.<4> Other ref.<5><6> have vaults below.
Rodwell (1977) records, archaeologically there can be little left to find.<3>
- <1> SEX4 DESC TEXT: unknown. 1960 0nwards. SMR form unknown.
- <2> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL92NE30, 1950.
- <3> SEX148 DESC TEXT: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. CBA Research Report No. 19 Historic Churches - a wasting asset. p.112.
- <4> SEX12083 DESC TEXT: Fowler, RC. 1923. Essex Chapels. Vol 16, p.113.
- <5> SEX9375 DESC TEXT: Morant, P. 1768. History and Antiquities of Essex. Vol 1, p.133.
- <6> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.47.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 6 2017 3:34PM