Monument record MCC6957 - All Saints' Church, Inworth
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8792 1785 (23m by 14m) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||MESSING-CUM-INWORTH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
In C19 the church was restored and the west tower and south porch rebuilt. The plate includes a cup and cover-paten of 1571.<1>
"Ambitious red brick W. tower and S. porch, competently if not sensitively done. The date is 1876-7, the architect J. Clarke."<2>
The west tower fell in the C17, to be replaced by the present structure in the last century.<3>
Chancel east window is c.1876, as is the west window in the nave, and a window in the south wall. South porch is gabled in red brick with red plain tile roof, all c.1876. <4>
Five digital photographs of All Saints' Church, lnworth, taken August 2016.<5>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.138-139.
- <2> SCC72929 Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.508.
- <3> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.110.
- <4> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.261A.
- <5> SCC72959 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2016. Photographs of All Saints' Church, lnworth. Digital.
Related Monuments/Buildings (5)
- Parent of: Inworth Rectory (Find Spot) (MCC6959)
- Parent of: Medieval finds in All Saints' Churchyard, Inworth (Find Spot) (MCC6958)
- Part of: All Saints' Church, Inworth (Monument) (MCC6955)
- Part of: All Saint's Church, Inworth (Monument) (MCC6956)
- Related to: Parish Church of All Saints, Kelveden Road, Inworth (Building) (MCC4419)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 11:06AM