Find Spot record MCC6954 - All Saints' Church, Inworth
|Grid reference||TL 8794 1782 (point) (FCE)|
|Civil Parish||MESSING-CUM-INWORTH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Roman brick in walls of church. An 11th century window in the north wall of the church has a course of Roman brick and puddingstone in the external head.<1><2><4><5> There is Roman brick in the north, east and south walls of the church.<3> Rodwell suggests that the chancel arch (plastered) may be turned with Roman bricks.<6>
Site Assessment (Rodwell & Rodwell 1977) = Church is alleged to be on site of a Roman villa, though Rodwell thinks this is doubtful.<6>
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, pp.138-139.
- <2> SEX74 MENTION: unknown. unknown. SMR.
- <3> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL81NE15, 1950.
- <4> SEX11783 MENTION: Hull, MR. 1963. Essex. Vol 3, p.149.
- <5> SEX7400 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1982. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Rural. p.261A.
- <6> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.110.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 15 2016 10:40AM