Monument record MCC6926 - Brinkley Grove
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0040 2797 (312m by 326m) (FCE)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
Earthwork, consisting of the south west angle of an apparently rectangular, with a ditch 60ft wide and 9ft deep, with an external and an internal rampart <1> <2> Defensive earthwork consisting of two banks with ditches set at right angles. Only traces are visible in the wood. Dimensions: south bank 184ft, west bank 113ft, both banks about 3ft high, south ditch 50ft wide, west ditch 58ft wide, both ditches about 8ft 6ins deep. Apparently partly destroyed within the wood, though perhaps it was never completed? Most of the northern ditch is wet south of a pond. Earthwork was in good condition in 1980. Field walking was to be arranged <3> Other ref: <4>
Site Assessment = In good condition in 1980, field walking was to be arranged <3> In 1990 it was reported to the SMR that house building in High Woods had reached the outer bank, and work was also in progress clearing trees, coppicing etc within the earthwork itself. HBMC are aware of the latter. <5>
- --- SEX59095 AP: unknown. unknown. TM005277.
- <1> SEX76 DESC TEXT: RCHME. 1922. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex - Volume 3. Vol 3, p.74.
- <2> SEX83 DESC TEXT: Pevsner, N. 1954. The Buildings of England, Essex. p133.
- <3> SEX138 DESC TEXT: Buckley, DG. unknown. SMR.
- <4> SEX139 DESC TEXT: Trans Essex Archaeological Soc. 1923. Trans Essex Archaeol Soc. New Series, pp214-215.
- <5> SEX140 CORRESPONDENCE: Rogers, FR. 1990. SMR.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM