Element record MCC658 - Roman timber water-main, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (1)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332), a Roman timber-lined water main was discovered. The main consisted of a series of straight wooden pipes about 0.2m in diameter and 2.0-2.5m long. These were held together by flat iron bands hammered into the walls of pipes to form water-tight and pressure resistant joints.
The water-main ran along the southern edge of the main Colchester to London Road (MCC475) and was one of a group (see also MCC653 and MCC657) which lined this route, possibly feeding into the properties which fronted onto the street. The pipes were set into a trench. During the early to middle 2nd century the water-mains were diverted from their course to pass under the southern portal of the Balkerne Gate (MCC555). The pipes were taken from their original position and transferred to a new trench dug into the street for this purpose. The pipes eventually went out of use when the but ends of the town ditch (MCC659) were joined together.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.117.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2016 3:26PM