Element record MCC628 - Late Roman Ditch, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9922 2522 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332) a late Roman ditch was discovered in the side of a contractor's trench when the bulk excavations for the new road were well underway. The ditch ran north-south along the eastern edge of the late Roman town ditch (MCC659) and stopped close to the ambulatory wall of the Romano-Celtic temple (MCC556).
The purpose of the ditch is unknown but the excavators felt that a defensive role was likely. A second north-south ditch was located to the south (MCC627) but 'it is unlikely that both ditches were conceived as part of the same scheme'.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.145.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2016 4:35PM