Monument record MCC614 - Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester

Summary

Roman building discovered during excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99160 25174 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332), a Roman building of two-phases was discovered which replaced an earlier building (MCC612) on the same site. The party wall between this building and an adjacent one to the north-east (MCC615) was built on a mortar foundation. Along the south side of the two buildings was a footway which had two slots cut into it, possibly for joists to support a timber floor. The floors of the building were mainly gravelled.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.135-137.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 17 2016 8:52AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.