Element record MCC590 - Roman mosaic pavement, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99183 25127 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During excavations directed by Dr. H. Laver on the area of land between the Colchester Union and Blatch Square (ECC626), the pavement of a 'Roman Villa' was uncovered by a party of 'sappers and miners' in 1876.<1>
Two pavements were recorded from the site 'now built over'.<2>
What was 'almost certainly' the same pavement as the one discovered in 1876 was uncovered for a second time during excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332). The mosaic (CAT feature ref. HF159) was found to have been almost completely destroyed in the 19th century when St Mary's Terrace was built. All that survived were a few rows of white tesserae surrounded by some patches of red tessellation. No trace of the building in which the pavement lay could be found although it is possible, but unlikely, that the mosaic was part of a house recorded immediately to the west (see MCC593).<3>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.243.
- <2> SCC126 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1909. Vol. 10 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. X (New Series). p.89.
- <3> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2016 12:45PM