Monument record MCC5682 - Wormingford Mere, Wormingford.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9229 3269 (807m by 695m)|
|Civil Parish||WORMINGFORD, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (4)
Cropmarks; to the west of the decoys, two very large ring ditches. The westernmost is clearer, larger and double-ditched. They are surrounded by at least 10 smaller ring ditches. Further west is a second double ring ditch, and to the south a further medium sized ring ditch cut by a linear boundary. Possible cursus (see ), c. 92373285, parallel ditches but curving slightly. <1> The concentric large ring ditch, westernmost of the two west of the decoy, at TL 92353290, is the site of a barrow destroyed in 1836 (see 9181). <2> <3> Map of this and nearby sites in SMR. <4> OS gives TL 92323286 as the NGR for the destroyed barrow. <5> Ap refs. <7> - <18> <21> <22> Plan of this and nearby cropmark complex in this source. <19> Mention of barrow in <20> The Wormingford Mere complex comprises a group of 12 single ring ditches, two dual concentric ring ditches, and a half ring ditch. The single ring ditches are between 7.7m and 22.5m in diameter. One ring ditch has a centrally positioned pit. In addition there are a number of linear cropmarks. A field survey in 2003 revealed that the main ring ditch is located on a slightly higher area of ground. A number of struck flints were noticed in the general area, with a noticable concentration at TM 92390 32956. Pottery and burnt flint were noticed at TM92394 32950.<20> Area fieldwalked in 2005 by members of the Colchester Archaeological Group who found a number of blades, flakes and scrapers dating from the early Neolithic period through to the later Neolithic/early Bronze Age. <23>
- --- SEX70832 Article in serial: Brown, Nigel, Knopp, Debbie and Strachan, David. 2002. The Archaeology of Constable Country: the crop-marks of the Stour Valley. Landscape History, 24:1, 5-28. Plate VIII.
- <1> SEX15 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA. unknown. SMR.
- <2> SEX29030 DESC TEXT: McMaster, I. 1968. Ring-ditches near Bures St Mary.
- <3> SEX29031 DESC TEXT: McMaster, I. 1971. Cropmarks: an Appeal for conservation and preservation.
- <4> SEX2296 Map: unknown. unknown. SMR.
- <5> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL93SW10, 1976.
- <6> SEX52658 RECORD SHEET/FORM: Ordnance Survey. unknown. OS cards. TL93SW63, 1976.
- <7> SEX29034 AP: CUCAP. 1976. BXA 98A.
- <8> SEX29035 AP: CUCAP. 1977. CCS 40-42.
- <9> SEX29036 AP: CUCAP. 1978. CGD 030,031,032.
- <10> SEX29037 AP: CUCAP. 1978. CHA 027, 028, 030.
- <11> SEX29038 AP: Farrands, RH. 1977. 165.5.
- <12> SEX29039 AP: Farrands, RH. 1978. 209.7.
- <13> SEX29040 AP: Farrands, RH. 1979. 209.6.
- <14> SEX29041 AP: McMaster, I. 1979. 3.12, 7.5, 7.4.
- <15> SEX9847 AP: McMaster, I. unknown. McMaster.
- <16> SEX29042 AP: CUCAP. 1977. CCS 46.
- <17> SEX29043 AP: Farrands, RH. 1979. 211.31, 32.
- <18> SEX29044 AP: McMaster, I. 1979. 7B.7, 18, 19.
- <19> SEX29059 DESC TEXT: Priddy, DA and Martingell, HE in Priddy, DA. 1982. Work of the Essex County Council Archaeology Section, 1981. Vol 14, p114.
- <20> SEX67744 MENTION: Jenkins, Rev. Henry. 1841. Observations on the site of Camulodunum.
- <21> SEX58234 AP: unknown. 1988. 87-13.
- <22> SEX58235 AP: Rogers, P. 1993. SWBW19-6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
- <23> SEX67790 DESC TEXT: Skippens, Pauline. 2005. Wormingford Field East of Staunch Farm south of river Stour (North of B1508).
- <24> SEX22419 Map: Ingle, CJ, Strachan, D, Tyler, S and Saunders, H. 1993-2012. NMP Cropmark Plot - 1:10,000.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 24 2020 3:34PM