Monument record MCC5541 - WWII Ammunition Shelter (destroyed), Arclight Works, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 0001 2626 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Contemporary records state, “Ammunition Shelter. Premises at rear of Factory Buildings at Arclight Works, Colchester By-Pass. Map ref. 449446”.<1> The Arclight Works stood to the N of Cowdray Avenue where the Cowdray Centre now stands. This ammunition shelter can be seen on an aerial photograph taken in May 1946 as a large Nissen hut immediately behind the main factory buildings.<2> A detailed OS map dated 1953 shows the factory to have expanded to cover the position of the Nissen hut by that date.<3>
See also <4> & <5>.
- <1> SEX31436 LIST: unknown. 1968. War Time Contraventions 1968. Colchester.
- <2> SEX67641 AP: RAF. 1946. 106G-UK 1492-4273. May 1946.
- <3> SEX60991 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1945-present. 1:2500. 1:2500. TM0026, date 1953.
- <4> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <5> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2020 11:35AM