Monument record MCC5526 - WWII Ammunition Shelter (destroyed), W of Watch House Farm, Chappel
|Grid reference||TL 8951 2861 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPPEL, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Contemporary records state, “Ammunition Shelter. Grass field west of Watch House Farm and north of Main Road. Map ref. 344470”. (Mil.Ed.) <1> Watch House Farm (now Watch House) lay on the NW corner of the crossroads at Chappel Corner. It can be seen on a 1946 aerial photograph that around the house was a wooded garden and around that to the N and W, was an open field. Although no ammunition shelter can be made out, there is the concrete base of a rectangular building of the “right” size in the field at this location.<2> Without more evidence, this is the NGR above. This site is now an estate of houses.
See also <3> & <4>.
- <1> SEX31436 LIST: unknown. 1968. War Time Contraventions 1968. Chappel and Wakes Colne.
- <2> SEX61858 AP: RAF. 1946. 106G-UK 1492-4140. May 1946.
- <3> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <4> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2020 11:18AM