Monument record MCC549 - Roman aqueduct? on Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99202 25098 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332), a substantial timber structure was discovered crossing the site of a demolished building (MCC547) and area of rubbish dumping in a south-west to north-east direction. It was followed for a distance of 43m and appeared to continue in both directions beyond the edge of the excavation.
The structure was situated immediately to the rear of the buildings and plots which fronted onto the main London - Colchester Street (MCC475) and was located on a 5m wide strip of land which was defined to the north and south by fences and ditches (see MCC473).
The structure consisted of a row of paired posts placed in post pits aligned with the direction of the structure. The structure was probably substantial and well-formed and, although its exact purpose is unclear, 'a plausible explanation is that it was an aqueduct'. <1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.119-121.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2016 8:06AM