Monument record MCC547 - Post-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99176 25075 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332) a post-Boudican Roman building (CAT Building 51) was discovered, much of which had been destroyed by late Roman cultivation (see MCC473). Enough of the building survived to show that it had been a strip-house where a range of rooms was flanked along the north side by a corridor. The walls and floors were constructed out of daub and the position of ground plates was shown by shallow slots including one where traces of timber remained in situ. Decayed wall plaster was found in situ at the base of some of the walls indicating that at least the passage and three rooms had been plastered. One room contained a small hearth and to the north there was a narrow gravelled path or alley (see MCC473) in which a water-main (MCC548) had been laid. This passed under the ground-plate of the north wall of the house and beneath the floors of the passage and a room.
The building was demolished prior to the construction of the aqueduct MCC549 and may have been destroyed to make way for it.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.119.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2016 8:06AM